Role: Enforcement Lawyer
Location: Newham, Greater London
Duration: 3 months+
Rate: £40 per hour
To provide legal expertise in criminal litigation and enforcement and related areas, in a shared back office support service, contributing to the delivery of a portfolio of high quality, solution focused legal work in more than one discipline and across multiple sites, to customers in different organisations.
Duties to include:
- Having personal responsibility for a caseload of legal work, and act as subject expert, with appropriate support and supervisions from a Senior Lawyer or Principal Lawyer
- Notifying all high risk matters to the Senior Lawyer To pick up casework arising in their respective teams during peak times or where additional resources are required to meet demand, and if requested to do so by the Principal Lawyer provide support to other teams
- Supporting strategic projects across multi-functional teams, assisting to ensure that an innovative and commercial solutions focus is adopted across projects.
- Carrying out advocacy when necessary on own caseload, and not to instruct external support except in accordance with agreed procedures
- Attending meetings of the organisation as required to provide legal and governance advice.
- Producing or comment upon reports for various organisation meetings or decision making processes.
- An understanding of the workings of local government and the challenges being set by the new local government agenda along with the financial, legal and political context of local government.
- The ability to contribute towards setting the strategic direction of Legal Services, supporting the senior management team to develop the overarching strategy for the service and the necessary supporting plans for delivery, with and through partners.
- Knowledge of local government powers and duties and at least one of the following areas of law, civil litigation, procurement & contract, planning, development.
- Criminal litigation and enforcement and related areas.
- A solicitor, barrister or chartered legal executive holding a practicing certificate
Local authority experience is desirable.
Deekay Contact: Michael Wilde - 0161 747 1234