Role: Legal Officer
Location: Newham, London
• To support the lawyers in the provision of legal advice to the Councils, Members and Officers, and support the provision of legal solutions in relevant areas of legal work to enable the Councils to progress with corporate goals.
• To assist lawyers and senior lawyers in the provision of legal expertise, in a shared back office support service, contributing to the delivery of a portfolio of high quality, solution focused legal work in more than one discipline and across multiple sites, to customers in different organisations.
• To provide legal and administrative support across regeneration, property, planning and procurement.
1. To support the lawyers and senior lawyers with a caseload of legal work, including personal responsibility for matters, including, but not limited to, carrying out research, drafting court pleadings, statements and correspondence, preparation of bundles and instructions to counsel, telephone conversations with customers and third parties in respect of cases, attendance at court with counsel as required, and at meetings with customers and third parties. Appropriate supervision as required by Lexcel will be provided, but the Legal Officers will be expected to work autonomously to produce creative and innovative solutions to legal issues
2. To provide support if required to strategic projects across multi-functional teams,
3. To carry out advocacy on preliminary matters if required to do so, and not to instruct external support except in accordance with agreed procedures
4. To work with the Administrative Support Team to ensure that all support tasks are carried out at the relevant level
5. To provide advice to customers on legal matters, and liaise with other parties in proceedings in respect of the conduct of the case, with the ability to and responsibility for making appropriate decisions without supervision
6. To work some evenings, weekends and occasional public holidays in order to meet the service requirements of customers and in order to ensure appropriate representation of the Councils with residents, elected members, and external bodies.
7. Other duties – the job description indicates the main areas of activity for this post. From time to time other tasks/duties maybe required which are commensurate with the general area of responsibility and grade of the post.
Able to demonstrate and evidence a highly developed Competence in:
• A legal qualification up to degree level or relevant equivalent work experience in legal practice relating to regeneration, property, planning and procurement.
Knowledge and experience in:
• A basic understanding of the workings of local government and the challenges being set by the new local government agenda along with the financial, legal and political context of local government.
• A basic knowledge of local government powers and law and practice relating to regeneration, property, planning and procurement.
Behaviours and personal qualities
• A corporate team player, highly motivated and resilient.
• A decision maker who listens to, and takes cognisance of, the views of others along with a high degree of integrity and probity.
• Skilled communicator with the ability to communicate orally and in writing to a diverse range of audiences.
Deekay Contact: Michael Wilde - 0161 747 1234