Role: Senior Planner
The post holder will be required to demonstrate the additional skills gained through training and experience, and be expected to take on work of a greater complexity and to work with a decreasing level of supervision.
The Principal Accountabilities identify the additional duties the post holder can expect to be dealing with at the higher grade, and the Person Specification identifies the additional experience to be demonstrated.
To assist the strategic planning and regeneration process by: assisting with the formulation, monitoring and review of the Council’s planning policies, associated research and carrying out any necessary consultation work; providing advice and support on development control and regeneration matters; inputting into development projects; and the preparation of development briefs.
To support the provision of a high quality, customer-focused planning service by providing specialist advice to Development Management in consideration of planning applications, and pre-application advice to potential developers.
- To contribute to all policy review work, including the development, monitoring and review of statutory planning policy, planning policy guidance and other planning policy guidance initiatives.
- To conduct all types of planning policy work including: formulation of the development plan; preparation of planning briefs; development of planning guidance; provision of advice to Development Management, and attending public meetings.
- To ensure appropriate public participation in the development and review of the Council’s planning policies, and to analyse the results thereof.
- To assist in the formulation and development of systems to monitor and review the effectiveness of the Council’s planning policies.
- To assist in the promotion of the Council’s planning policy objectives on London wide planning matters through liaison with the GLA and Mayor, other boroughs and external bodies and agencies.
- To assist with the establishment, monitoring and development of the functions and systems required to negotiate and implement effective S106 agreements / planning obligations.
- To prepare and present quality professional advice, briefing information and reports, to appropriate individuals and bodies at all levels of the council's governance arrangements and to external organisations, public meetings and site visits as required.
- To prepare and present statements and evidence for public inquiries, including the examination of the Local Development Framework.
- To take a lead role in providing planning advice and guidance for specific areas/issues as required. To be responsible for providing planning advice and support on policy, regeneration and development issues within that area.
- To provide advice, as required, on all aspects of the planning process on the telephone, in writing, by email and face to face with visiting customers.
- In conjunction with the Principal Planning Policy Officer and Team Leader, prepare briefs for external consultants and undertake day to day supervision of appointed consultants’ work.
- To maintain a current knowledge of relevant law, policies, working practices and procedures.
- To help ensure effective liaison and co-ordination with other parts of the department, and with other services as required on planning and other related matters.
- To contribute to the development of a strategic planning function, which promotes the Council’s regeneration framework and provides an integrated approach to policy, regeneration and development issues.
- To provide advice and guidance to new starters and trainees in conjunction with the Principal Planning Policy Officer and Team Leader.
Additional duties for PO3 grade
- To prepare detailed briefing reports and carry out negotiations with Members and objectors about changes to policies during the formulation of the development plan process.
- To prepare and present expert evidence at major public inquiries, and as part of the examination process of the Local Development Framework.
- To be responsible for specific major project areas.
- To provide advice, guidance and supervision to more junior officers and provide cover for the Principal Planning Policy Officer.
Deekay Contact: Heather - 0161 747 1234