The Section 38 team, within Highway Design, are responsible for the assessment of highway proposals associated with new developments across Kirklees. These proposals are submitted by Developers and Highways Consultants as part of the Planning process and the roads will, with agreement made under Section 38 of the Highways Act, become part of the public highway infrastructure.
As an Engineer (Section 38) you will:
- Work alongside the Principal and Senior Engineers on assisting with the design of new development related highway projects, for which an understanding highways and drainage design and the highway adoption process is needed.
- Assist on the design of highway schemes, from pre-application stage, to completion of construction on site, which will facilitate development, in particular with relation to Sections 38.
- Get involved in other work across the Design team, which may involve schemes generated from; agreements made under Section 278 or 106 of the Highways Act, major scheme proposals, and West Yorkshire Transport fund initiatives.
- Play a part in the delivery of those highway projects you have designed that are associated with planning applications and where they relate to the impact of those applications to the highway network.
- Undertake inspections of works being undertaken as part of Section 38 agreements, and keep clear and accurate records of those inspections.
- Assist in undertake the relevant duty holder’s role under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, in particular, Designer.
- Use your communication skills, both written and verbal, to help in dealing with a wide range of people, from developers and consultants to members of the public and local Councillors. These will be both technical and non-technical queries so you will need to use your honest, polite, professional, efficient, and resourceful communications to respond.
- Be responsible for the wellbeing of yourself and others on a day to day basis.
- Spend a portion of your time travelling between sites, for which you will need a full and valid driving licence, and a willingness to undertake and pass a Kirklees Council driving test.