- Built Environment
Role: Principal Enviromental Officer
Location: Tower Hamlets
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
1. As an Officer with delegated authority, use accredited specialist multi-faceted skills and techniques to carry out a programme of pro-active and reactive functions which will contribute to raising standards of Housing and Public Health in Tower Hamlets.
2. Manage a Unit within the Environmental Health and Trading Standards Service.
3. To support the Team Leader in managing the Team and to deputise in their absence.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. By using appropriate interventions, using delegated powers and specialist skills (i.e. audit, inspection, enforcement powers, negotiation and persuasion) within all types of dwellings within the Borough, with the aim to gain and ensure compliance with Environmental Health legislation so that the standards of public health are protected and living conditions are enhanced for residents.
2. Using specialist skills make decisions on behalf of the Service relating to service requests, enforcement action, service consultations, licence and planning applications.
3. Deliver advice, run campaigns and education initiatives with landlords, registered housing providers, residents and targeted groups to raise and improve levels of Housing standards and public health within the Borough.
4. To identify, develop and nurture partnerships with other individuals, agencies, groups and government departments to enable the Service to develop and gain greater efficiency delivering its core functions.
5. Provide professional and technical advice with mentoring and training to other members of the service as necessary. To be the Unit’s expert in a field of specialism relating to Environmental Health. Deputise for the Team Leader and to develop the policy and strategy of the Service.
6. Act as the Lead Officer on allocated projects: initiate, support and oversee projects and campaigns within the Team, carry a case load ensuring all work is undertaken in accordance with statutory requirements, the Council’s policies and procedures to the highest professional practice and to the benefit of the residents in the Borough.
7. Fully supervise allocated Officers in the Unit and external contractors.
8. Exercise delegated authority where authorised to act as an Officer or Inspector on behalf of the Council under the appropriate legislative provisions and ensure statutory responsibilities are properly and effectively discharged, on issues of Environmental Health specifically Housing functions and public health.
9. Project manage, initiate, plan and manage campaigns in high priority Environmental Health areas, including the production and use of publicity material. Promote public and landlord education by devising and organising talks, presentations, displays, exhibitions to the public, schools, trade associations and other groups as necessary.
10. Provide specialist and professional advice and guidance to all service users including residents, consumers, traders and businesses on all environmental health matters.
11. Initiate and carry out enforcement and legal process functions in residential and commercial premises, including: prosecution, service of notices, without legal representation, apply for applications and execute warrants, necessitating
the forced entry to business and residential premises. To initiate and undertake programmed and complaint inspections, surveys and investigations under all the relevant Environmental Health Legislation, including visiting sites alone and taking necessary action. Such visits will involve attending locations and encountering situations, which may involve personal risk and requires a considerable amount of discretion.