- Built Environment
Role: Principal Planning Officer
Location: Tower Hamlets
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
1. To support the Team Leader in the management of the workload and supervision of the staff in the area team.
2. To provide high quality, specialised development management assessment and decision making in an area team that meets the needs of Tower Hamlets’ multi-cultural communities, including the:
- delivery of the council’s statutory responsibilities for the determination of planning applications and under the Town and Country Planning Acts and related legislation;
- assessment of pre- application submissions, as required, under the Town and Country Planning Acts and related legislation, in accordance with the Council’s established protocols.
- to lead on complex planning appeals, ensuring all statutory timescales are met and that the Council’s position is defended robustly.
3. To work with other senior officers and service managers to ensure a co-ordinated service delivery and to promote the services of the Directorate, building working relationships at a senior level with London Local Government, Central Government agencies, business and with the local community.
4. To assist with the Team Leader with the management of the Area Team to ensure it contributes to the regeneration of the borough through the effective use of planning powers relevant to the post and partnership working with regeneration agencies within and outside of the Council.
5. To be the lead case officer for complex, high profile and strategic development opportunities, managing all aspects of case work, acting under own initiative with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for ensuring that statutory, regulatory and local policy requirements are met by the Council, developers or other relevant parties.