Role: Principle Engineer
Salary: £40 - £45 p/hr
The Section 278 team, within Highway Design, are responsible for the design and development of schemes associated with new developments across Kirklees. These are proposals submitted by Developers and Highways Consultants as part of the Planning process and involve works on the adopted highway, which are necessary to either facilitate or improve access, mitigate against development traffic, or improve the network infrastructure to facilitate often major housing sites and / or commercial development. The team also get involved in schemes on land owned by other parts of the Council i.e Kirklees Housing, Crematoria, Education, where improvements or maintenance works are need to roads under their private ownership.
On a day to day basis the Principal engineer role is very varied and fast moving. This is a role that will involve the using and sharing of experience, knowledge and expertise in Highways Design and as a Principal Engineer (Section 278) you will:
- Undertake, and supervise others in, the detail design of a range of highway schemes, for which you will need experience in highways and drainage design.
- Work with developers and highway consultants on the detail design of highway schemes, from pre-application stage, to completion of construction on site, which will facilitate development, in particular with relation to Sections 278’s.
- Prepare and supervise others in the preparation of contract drawings and documentation for the highway schemes you are involved in.
- Work across the Design team which may involve schemes generated from; agreements made under Section 38 or 106 of the Highways Act, Major Schemes, Maintenance, Safety and / or West Yorkshire Transport fund initiatives.
- Supervise and mentor others to supervise highway projects, particularly those that are associated with planning applications resulting in 278 agreements, and or / where they relate to the impact of those applications to the highway network.
- Undertake the relevant duty holder’s role under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, in particular, Principal Designer / Designer
- Undertake supervision of works being undertaken as a result, and keep clear and accurate records of those inspections.
- Undertake project management including managing project budgets.
- Prepare technical and financial reports to ensure all schemes are appropriately approved and authorised for construction.
- Liaise with and advise various Council departments and partners, including developers and highway consultants on design issues relating to 278 works and understand the need for effective and efficient communication, both written and verbal.
- Be responsible for the wellbeing of yourself and others on a day to day basis, and the supervision of Engineers, Senior Engineer, Apprentices and Support staff within in your team, including appraisals, 1-2-1’s etc.
- Spend a portion of your time travelling between sites and attending meetings, for which you will need a full and valid driving licence, and a willingness to undertake and pass a Kirklees Council driving test.