Role: Principle Transport Planner
As a Principal Transport Planner, you will be responsible for the provision of expert advice on strategic transport issues. This role has a focus on the development of transport strategy, including delivery of our new Local Transport Plan. As well as developing emerging transport policy and strategy your work will help to shape a number of high profile pieces of work. You will engage and consult with members, external stakeholders and residents on transport planning issues addressing varied and complex queries/issues raised.
What is the role?
You will sit within the Transport Planning Team, and be responsible for:
- In conjunction with the Strategic Transport Lead and Transport Planning Team Manager, developing the strategic transport planning and policy framework for the city's transport;
- Support the development of the new Local Transport Plan and any related transport strategies;
- Taking a lead role in contributing to the development, review and ongoing assessment of the Local Transport Plan and in particular to be responsible for the annual review of key sections within the Plan.
- Provide transport input into other council strategies being developed by other departments
- Provide input to and represent Portsmouth City Council at Solent Transport, Transport for South East and other external partnership bodies as required. Provide technical transport planning advice to internal and external clients as required.
- Advise and guide Transport Planners, by providing technical expertise and experience in solving more complicated problems. Acts as a role model and take on some responsibility for supervising work of others on particular projects. Provides training for others.
- Respond to and deal with transport planning queries raised by members of the public, Councillors and other stakeholders.
- Building on existing relationships with elected members and key decisions makers, act as both an influencer to assist in the determination of transport priorities, and a conduit to articulate technical and sensitive decisions to a range of audiences.
- Advance the provision of public and active transport within the city through the development of effective working relationships with operators, other local authorities and key stakeholders.
- Remain up to date and compliant with all relevant guidance and legislation, organisational procedures, policies and professional codes of conduct in order to uphold standards of best practice. Additionally, to assist the team to remain up to date and compliant.
- Routinely seeking external funding opportunities, from a range of external sources, to support key Portsmouth priorities. Managing, writing and submitting a range of funding bids, coordinating input from staff across the organisation;
- Think in innovative ways to develop strategies;
- Co-ordinate and submit responses to transport consultations of external parties on behalf of the council.
- Performing any other duties consistent with the nature and grade of the role as agreed with the line manager.
- Relevant degree level education OR demonstrable equivalent professional experience is essential;
- Membership of a professional body is desirable
- Communicates messages (which may be complicated or sensitive) clearly, concisely and at a level appropriate to the audience, who may not be specialists in transport planning.
- Has the proven ability to represent the service with direction at highly challenging internal/ external meetings, with integrity and confidence.
- Demonstrates high levels of verbal communication and reasoning, putting forward persuasive and compelling arguments;
- Excellent writing skills including the ability to write clear, basic and appropriate information for reports, articles and briefing papers including technical and Cabinet reports where necessary;
- Required to have a team player ethos.
- Experience of working in with politically sensitive or potentially controversial issues;
- Experience of dealing with financial and budget management;
- Keep up-to-date with best practice in the profession, seeking innovative approaches to transport issues and developing best practice solutions.
- Able to demonstrate higher level thinking skills, in order to think through issues, make connections and establish solutions which draw on this bigger picture view of transport;
- Able to make connections between disparate issues, and creatively combine solutions to solve multiple problems;
- A customer focused approach to work which promotes your passion to deliver excellent service and continuous improvement on transport issues for the City's residents.
- Able to work independently and proactively, along with the ability to prioritise. Able to make decisions and think through complex and conflicting issues. Able to manage competing priorities;
- Able to build credible working relationships, build rapport and negotiate with and influence others. Able to develop positive partnership ways of working, with a range of stakeholders;
- Well-developed project delivery skills, including skills for coordination, liaison and the ability to plan and monitor project plans in order to achieve major projects on time and within budget;
- An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft applications and general IT skills.
Enhanced DBS required....
Deekay Contact: Heather - 0161 747 1234