Role: Senior Bridge Engineer
Main Purpose of Post:
Capita’s Bridge team forms part of the Civil Engineering Design Consultancy which carries out bridge assessments, feasibility work, detailed designs and supervises a wide range of highway, bridge and general civil engineering projects. As well as bridge design the bridges team also carries out bridge inspections, maintenance works and manages a highways structures stock. We are currently looking for an experienced Bridge Engineer to join our offices in Manchester.
- Reporting to Principal Engineer. Working with other engineers and technicians.
- Programme, manage and undertake the design and supervision of the construction of a range of Bridges and highway structures for civil engineering projects.
- Compile detailed specification to MCHW.
- Assist and supervise the work of CAD technicians and junior engineers. Check technical drawings and technical reports to ensure that high standard of quality is achieved.
- Prepare fee proposals for the engineering services provided and control team expenditures from engagement stage to project completion
- To assist in the development and implementation of work programmes.
- To undertake the technical aspects required of projects including Bridge Assessments, feasibility, concept design, detailed design, invitation of tenders and supervision of construction.
- To implement projects to meet the requirements of quality, health and safety and environmental standards, to both national and corporate standards.
- Prepare and maintain project cost plans.
- To assimilate work that may be assigned to a team of engineers and technicians to deliver a variety of projects covering a range of complexities.
- A Chartered or nearly Chartered Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (CEng MICE) or other related profession accredited by the Engineering Council.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related subject accredited by the Engineering Council.
- A minimum of 5 years practical experience in the design, implementation and supervision of all aspects, in both, bridges and highway structures engineering design and construction. This shall include an extensive knowledge and understanding of the relevant legislation, standards and procedures.
- A working knowledge of bridges and highway structures, civil engineering conditions of contract, specifications and methods of measurement.
- To demonstrate experience of liaising with Clients, Stakeholders, and the public on projects and matters arising from the management of a Highway Authority bridge stock.
- The ability to set and work to personal deadlines and targets to meet the requirements of programmes of work, to meet clients’ needs and to respond to targets set by others.
- To demonstrate good communication skills, both orally and in writing, both at a general and technical level.
- Skills to use computers and computer aided design packages for preparation of plans, communications and presentations.
- Knowledge of relevant structures and civil engineering statutory procedures with particular reference to Health and Safety.
- A full UK driving licence
- Knowledge and experience in aspects of public participation and engagement
- A commitment to quality by a positive attitude to change management and ongoing interpretation of organisational aims and objectives.
- Tact and diplomacy in all interpersonal relationships.
- Extensive experience of working effectively as a member of a team.
- To be able to consult and negotiate on engineering schemes and contractual matters.
- Willingness on occasions, to work weekends/evenings to attend meetings or supervise staff (not a regular requirement but necessary from time to time).
- Master’s degree in Structural Engineering
- Proven work experience in delivering projects in common data environment.
- Knowledge of Midas Civil software for analysis and design of complex bridges