Role: Structures Engineer
Location: Llandrindod Wells or Brecon or Newtown
Salary: £30,507 to £32,029
Main Purpose of Post:
Under the direction of the Senior Engineer act as Highway Structures Designer for civil engineering projects and provide input to projects through feasibility, detailed design and construction management stages to meet the objectives of Powys County Council in a safe, timely and cost effective manner.
- Using your engineering knowledge undertake design activities from feasibility studies to detailed design and procurement. To identify problems and the constraints of a site, and in consideration of the aims and objectives of a project develop bespoke design solutions and using your engineering judgement make recommendations based on your conclusions.
- To manage assigned schemes to deliver to time and to budget.
- To oversee administrative, supervision and technical control of construction of works in the role of Project Manager’s Representative undertaking most duties delegated by the Project Manager on and under any Contract(s).
- Continue your own professional development and provide professional advice, guidance and support with on-the-job training to all staff and promote continual development.
- Researching best practice, keeping up-to-date with new construction policies and legislation.
- Ensure the best possible service is delivered to the public. Interact with members of the public, either negotiations in relation to scheme design or in dealing with enquiries and complaints relating to the work you are involved with.
- To ensure that PCC commitments to ecological and biodiversity matters are incorporated into design and construction processes.
- Welsh Competency Level 1 – I can, or am prepared to learn within a reasonable time period, how to pronounce Welsh personal and place-names correctly, and I can give and respond to basic greetings on the telephone or in person.
- To be responsible for the development and implementation of health and safety principles and practice as laid down in the Council’s Health and Safety Policies and arrangements.
- To be responsible for implementation of equal opportunities principles and practice as laid down in the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- There is no DBS Check requirement for this position.
Extensive proven experience of Highway or Structural Design on a range of projects
Experience of current design software for highways or structures
Experience of managing junior design staff
A good working knowledge of DMRB and MCD
An understanding of Health & Safety legislation and CDM Regulations
An understanding of the current construction legislation, law and best practice
Knowledge of the range of civil engineering procedures from feasibility to construction
Knowledge of structural maintenance, inspection and assessment
An understanding of Environmental Legislation
An understanding of financial standing orders and corporate procedures
Knowledge of Quality management systems
Registrations, Qualifications & Training
HND / Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer
Be a team player keen to be involved, and involve others, in developing projects
Able to prioritise workloads
Attention to detail and methodical approach to work
Be self motivated
Able to work without supervision
Ability to make decisions based upon sound professional judgement
Good organisational skills
Able to communicate effectively and confidently at all levels
Good report writing skills
Good IT skills, with an interest in the furthering the County IT infrastructure to enhance service provision
Good inter-personal skills
Current driving licence
To travel in line with organisational requirements
Willingness to undertake work outside normal office hours on an occasional basis; including evening (until mid-night), night-time (after midnight) and weekend working